What Steps Should You Take Immediately After a Car Accident?
- CALL 911! then call a close family member or friend! It is going to be very important to your accident claim that you have someone that you can trust to help you gather information at the scene of crash!
- REQUEST MEDICAL ATTENTION! Delaying your medical treatment only causes you more problems. You will need to be able to prove how you were injured in the car accident.
- GET THE OTHER DRIVER’S INSURANCE INFORMATION and save all witness contact information. You can document everything by taking photographs with your phone or, ask a family member or close friend to do it for you.
Explaining how the Crash Happened to the Investigating Officer
After a car crash, you will be experiencing a lot of emotion and, you could even be dealing serious injuries. You must try your best to explain the events as you recall them happening immediately before the crash. If someone else was with you in the vehicle and they know how the crash happened, it may be a good idea to let them explain how the crash occurred until you are able to calm down but, do not rely on them to get it all right. You will still need to do your best to explain to the investigating officer how the crash occurred. If necessary, ask the officer if you could have some time to gather your thoughts before you start answering questions. This way you can be sure that you are giving the best account of the facts of the accident which will help the officer reach a conclusion on who was at fault.
What do I look for when looking for Car Accident Lawyer to represent me?
Honesty and responsiveness are going to be key throughout your case. Look for a lawyer that can deliver on these two fundamental traits. Finding the best car accident lawyer for you is dependent on your needs but, there are some things you can look for when choosing your car accident lawyer. You will need:
- a car accident lawyer that can explain the legal process to you;
- a lawyer that has a history of successfully fighting insurance companies;
- a firm that has a good reputation of doing what’s best for their clients;
- a firm that is hungry for your business;
- a firm that knows that they are providing a service to their clients;
- a firm with lawyers that know how to work hard in your case;
- a law firm that treats you like family.
Your lawyer needs to be available when you have questions. If you need to discuss your case, you should be able to call your lawyer, set up an in-person meeting, set-up a virtual meeting online or, call, text, and email. Requesting information about your case should never be a problem. Your lawyer must be available to answer your questions promptly!
Should I Try to Handle My Own Car Wreck Case?
Some individuals may possess special knowledge and experience to handle their own car wreck but generally, I would advise against attempting to be your own lawyer. There are too many details that could be overlooked when you have not had the experienced of a car accident lawyer. Most importantly, insurance adjusters know all the rules of the process. They know that ultimately, if you are not represented by a car wreck lawyer, there is no threat of a filed lawsuit. Therefore, they will do everything that they can to minimize the value of your case.
The Dangers of Handling your Own Car Wreck Case
- You could resolve your case and still be left facing bill collectors.
- You could overlook other insurance coverage available in your case.
- You could miss out on the medical attention you need for your injuries.
- You could be signing documents you have never seen before.
- You could end up paying out of pocket more than you should.
- Your car could end up never being fixed.
- You could end up losing your care to pay for storage fees.
In short, with so many great automobile accident attorneys in Houston, it makes no rational sense to handle your own car wreck case.
A Car Accident Attorney Helps You Get the Medical Treatment You Deserve
If you get seriously injured or impaired in an auto accident, you are going to need help getting back to your healthy state. When you don’t have the resources to find a way to get the medical attention that you need in order to get better, you could benefit from hiring a lawyer. A car wreck lawyer is able to put in you contact with doctors and clinics that can help get better by diagnosing and treating you for your injuries.
Car Accident Cases are Handled on a Contingent Fee Basis
One of the first steps that your car wreck lawyer will take will be to discuss your expectations in your case, the details of representation and, to explain the process involved in a car accident case. In explaining the details of representation, we will explain to you that your case will be handled on a contingent fee basis, meaning that you will not be charged hourly or, will you be required to pay a fee at the beginning. The fee is contingent or dependent on your lawyer winning your case. Your lawyer will get attorney’s fees when your case is WON and that’s the only way will be able to charge you for his service. If they DON’T WIN, YOU DON’T PAY! Also, if your lawyer loses your case, you will also not be responsible to pay the case expenses that the lawyer has in your case.
Filing Your Car Wreck Lawsuit: What Happens When Insurance Company Won’t Cooperate
At some point, if your car accident attorney determines that the insurance company is not offering a reasonable settlement in your case, your car wreck case will enter the litigation phase in the legal process. This means that we file lawsuit in your case.
Below is a general summary of the litigation process of a car wreck case:
- Filing the Lawsuit (State Court, Federal Court)
- Conducting Written Discovery (Gathering Information)
- Deposition of Our Client (The Other side Interviews our Client)
- Taking Witness Depositions (Interviewing Key Witnesses)
- Expert Depositions (Experts for Both Sides are Interviewed)
- Mediation (Try to Reach an Agreement Using a Mediator)
- Trial Preparation (We prepare all the evidence that will be presented)
- Trial (We go Fight for you!)
Barring any special issues in your case, on average, the litigation phase of a car crash case can take anywhere from a year to a year and half. Cases with multiple parties or that have complex legal issues can sometimes take a little longer that the average.
Sandoval Law Firm, PLLC, Houston Car Accident Law Firm
The best car accident law firms make client communication a priority. It is our obligation to provide a good service to our clients and to stay up to date on Texas car accident law. This is how our firm stays one step ahead of the insurance companies so that we keep them from getting away with paying very little in your case.
We use our knowledge of the law to develop smart and creative approaches to fighting the insurance companies. We are relentless when it comes to making sure that your case is always moving forward. This will let the insurance companies know that your case should be taken seriously.
We do what is necessary to win your case. At Sandoval Law Firm, you will speak with attorney Hector Sandoval and he will discuss all the details of your case with you directly. That’s the best service that we believe we can offer to all our clients.
When you are ready to discuss your auto accident case, call us at (346) 347-7777 for a free and informative consultation!