Car accidents are unfortunately quite common in Houston, Texas.
According to statistics from the Texas Department of Transportation, there were over 64,000 crashes in Harris County, which includes Houston, in 2019. These crashes resulted in over 27,000 injuries and nearly 300 fatalities.
Factors that contribute to car accidents in Houston and throughout Texas include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting or using a phone while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Driver fatigue or drowsiness
- Poor weather or road conditions
- Vehicle malfunctions or defects
The Texas Department of Transportation has implemented various programs and initiatives to try to reduce the number of car accidents in the state, such as public awareness campaigns and enhanced enforcement of traffic laws. However, car accidents continue to be a significant problem in Houston and throughout Texas, and it is important for drivers to be vigilant and take steps to avoid accidents, such as obeying traffic laws, staying alert while driving, and maintaining their vehicles in good condition.
What Steps Can Houston Drivers Take to Avoid Car Accidents?
There are several steps that Houston drivers can take to avoid car accidents and stay safe on the roads:
- Obey traffic laws: Follow posted speed limits, obey traffic signals and signs, and use turn signals when changing lanes or making turns.
- Avoid distractions: Avoid using your phone while driving, eating, or engaging in other distracting activities that take your eyes and focus off the road.
- Maintain a safe following distance: Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you, especially in heavy traffic or poor weather conditions.
- Stay alert: Stay alert and focused while driving and avoid driving if you are feeling tired or drowsy.
- Check your vehicle: Make sure your vehicle is in good condition, including brakes, tires, and lights, and get regular maintenance to keep it running smoothly.
- Be prepared for emergencies: Keep a first-aid kit, flashlight, and other emergency supplies in your vehicle, and know what to do in the event of an accident.
- Watch for other drivers: Be aware of other drivers around you and anticipate their actions, especially in busy intersections or when merging onto highways.
- Wear your seatbelt: Always wear your seatbelt and make sure all passengers in your vehicle do the same.
By following these steps and practicing safe driving habits, Houston drivers can help reduce the risk of car accidents and stay safe on the roads.
Find a Lawyer that You Can Trust!
After you’ve been in an auto accident, everyone that you know is going to want to tell you how these cases play out. The truth is, every case is different and what you should be thinking is, whether you are going to get the medical attention that you need and whether you can get back to living your normal life. If you can be sure of this, it’s time to consult a lawyer before it gets physically, mentally, and financially impossible for you to handle.
I handle car accident cases all over the greater Houston, Texas area. At Sandoval Law Firm, PLLC, we are ready to go to work for you!