Sharing the Road!
Not only through my experience as a personal injury lawyer but also, as an avid cyclist myself, I know that that every time I get on the roadway, there a possibility that I will have a bicycle accident. For that reason, before I get out for a ride, I do everything that I can to make sure I know the rules of the road and that my bicycle and safety equipment is working properly. Despite everything that I can do to protect myself from having a bicycle accident, I also know that I’m on road with other drivers that may or may not have any idea what the law is that protects my right to be on the road.
As a bicycle accident lawyer, I have representing injured victims and their families in all types of bicycle accidents. The recurring cause that we have seen in bicycle crashes is, negligence of the automobile driver. Automobile drivers are simply not accustomed to lookout for cyclists on the road. Although it’s never an excuse, ignorance of the law also plays a role in the attitude automobile drivers take towards cyclists on the road.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, “Pedalcyclist fatalities totaled 68 in 2019. This is a 4.23% decrease from 2018.”
Bicycle Accidents Result in Serious Injuries and Deaths
Over the years hundreds of Texans have been killed in bicycle accidents caused by negligent drivers. In a six-year period (2010-2016), it is reported that over 16,000 crashes involving bicycles occurred in Texas. Of those crashes that occurred, almost all of them resulted in serious injuries to the cyclist. With more Texans hitting the road on their bicycles, the numbers of accidents can be expected to climb. It is not surprising that what very often leads to deadly bicycle accidents are motor vehicle drivers that do not know that must share the road with bicyclist and therefore, they must always be on the lookout for bicyclist on our roadways.
Unfortunately, negligent drivers are on our roads and are causing catastrophic bicycle accidents every day. When a bicycle accident like this occurs, it is difficult to focus on legal issues or lawsuits but, there does come a time that the family will want to do what is necessary to make sure the negligent driver and all those that may be responsible are held accountable for their actions. This is why, we represent families in personal injury and wrongful death cases against negligent drivers.
Bicyclists Have a Right to be On the Road
Spreading the word is the best way to raise awareness about the causes of bicycle accidents. The bicycle laws of Texas are intended to reduce the risk of having a deadly bicycle accident but, both cyclist and car drivers must know them. Some basic bicycle laws are:
- Bicyclists have the rights and duties of other vehicle operators. That means, they have a right occupy the roadway!
- Bicyclists must ride near the curb and travel in the same direction as traffic. That means, stick the right side of the roadway and, do not ride against traffic.
- Bicyclists must obey traffic signs and lights.
- Bicyclists must use a white light in the front and red reflector or red light on the back when riding at night.
- Bicyclists must use hand and arm signals to communicate with others on the road.
- Bicyclists may ride two abreast as long as traffic is not affected.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Even when bicyclist follow the rules of road, accidents occur. Some common causes of motor vehicle and bicyclist crashes are:
- Distracted drivers.
- Driver fails to check blind spot.
- Driver pushes vehicle approaching a bicyclist.
- Driver pulls out into approaching bicyclists.
- Driver runs up on bicyclists.
Fatal Bicycle Accident Cases: Investigating a Potential Wrongful Death Case and a Survival Action?
After losing a loved one to a tragic bicycle accident, investigating the potential for the family members to file a wrongful death lawsuit or a survival action is important to make sure negligent drivers are held accountable for their actions. Although no amount of monetary compensation will replace a loved one but, compensation does help with the needs of family left behind. As your lawyer, we will explain what family members are qualified to file these lawsuits. If you and your family have lost a loved one as a result of tragic bicycle crash , we are here to explain the entire process to you so that you make the best decisions that you can for you and your family. The goal of our firm in these cases is to make the negligent driver and anyone else potential responsible pay for the harm that they have caused
Making Negligent Drivers Pay for Their Actions?
If you have been injured a bicycle accident and need to consult a lawyer about your rights as bicyclist injured on a Texas Roadway, we are here to help! At Sandoval Law Firm, PLLC we treat every client with the care and attention that they deserve.
Contact Sandoval Law Firm, PLLC at (346) 347-7777 to request an initial consultation to discuss your case.
- After Your Car Accident, Your Lawyer Has to Go Find the Coverage!
- In Serious Car Accident, Is Minimum Car Insurance Enough to Cover My Medical Bills and Lost Wage?
- After a Car Accident, Should I file an Underinsured or Uninsured Motorist Claim with my Insurance?
- Dealing with Insurance After A Serious Car Accident: What You Need to Know About your Own Insurance Company!
- The Other Driver Ran the Red Light! Do I have a Case? It’s all About Coverage!
- Why do Bicycle Accidents Occur at Alarming Rates?
- Following a Car Accident, Should You Wait to See a Doctor?